- one 8-ounce package of reduced fat (not fat free) cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of salt
- one 16-ounce box fillo dough, thawed
- 1 (or up to 2) sticks of unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine cream cheese, egg, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and salt using an electric blender. Beat on medium-high speed until all smooth.
- Pour this mixture into a pastry bag (or a zip-top plastic bag). Cut a small hole at the tip of the bag (about 1/4-inch opening).
- Lay out thawed fillo dough (don’t do this until you’re ready to start rolling the straws!). Working quickly, brush top sheet with butter. About 1 inch in from sides and end, pipe cream cheese mixture along the long edge of the fillo. Fold over ends to contain filling and roll up fillo to make a straw. Place seam side down on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining sheets of fillo. Brush the tops of the straws with butter and bake for 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Best served immediately.
Credit: Rachel Cooks