- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 3 apples, peeled, cored,thinly slice (2 Granny Smith apples and 1 Gala apple)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 10 thawed fillo dough sheets
- Confectioner’s sugar for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet melt butter, add sliced apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring as needed, for about 2 minutes (do not cook the apples). Stir in walnuts and remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Take 1 fillo sheet at a time and lay it in the prepared baking sheet. Brush with melted butter and repeat until all 10 fillo sheets are stacked.
- Now, with the baking sheet placed horizontally (one long edge of fillo facing you), spoon apple filling in the middle leaving a 2-inch boarder of fillo all around. Jelly-roll towards the other end, but not too tightly and keep the seam on the bottom.
- Brush strudel with melted butter and remaining juices from apple filling mix.
- Bake in 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-40 minutes or until fillo turns a nice golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool in sheet pan. To garnish, sprinkle apple strudel with confectioner’s sugar. Slice and serve.
Credit: Sinbad Foods